In today's fast-paced, always-on, 24/7 world, our need to switch off and get a solid night's sleep is more important and yet seemingly more difficult, than ever.
In fact, sleep deprivation in western culture has become so prevalent that the CDC calls it a "public health epidemic". According to their research, more than 25% of the U.S. population isn't getting enough sleep, while nearly 10% experience chronic insomnia. It seems that especially in the US, we've come to regard sleep as a luxury we can't afford. Yet, "getting sufficient sleep is not a luxury -- it is a necessity," CDC say.
Here at RECLINER, we tend to agree. We're in the business of making Sleepwear after all. This month we take an extra special nod to sleep health because it's Better Sleep Month. You hadn't heard? Arianna Huffington is all over the topic, with the well-timed release of her new book The Sleep Revolution.
Here are some helpful little luxuries that we've chosen to fast-track you on the road to a better night's rest.
1. Bath salts. Taking a soak is a surefire way switch gear from 'on' to 'off' and makes for a very effective pre-bed ritual. Challenge: switch your phone off before hand. We dig Bath Salts for Inner Peace, by Ila Spa.
2. The Wide Leg Pant by yours truly. Still our #1 best seller for good reason. Fuss-free design, minimal elastic and no fastenings, ties or other closures that irritate sleep. According the National Sleep Foundation, it's your pajamas that make all the difference when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep. We couldn't agree more.
3. Shut out any light with a good old sleep mask. There are thousands of contoured versions out on the market now. Personally we like this one
4. A lightly scented candle like this one by Diptyque is a sure-fire way to relax the senses. Roses is a beautifully subtle option.
5. A book. Yes, a good old, fashioned book. A novel, to be precise. A totally immersive, transportive novel. Best steer clear of heavy biographies, murder mysteries and the like. We are loving The Nightingale.